Smithfield Community Center

$9.00

The Smithfield Community Center was built as the Peterboro Presbyterian Church in 1820. On October 22, 1835 is was the site of the first complete meeting of the New York Anti-Slavery Society. The Presbyterian Church disbanded in 1868. Gerrit Smith bought the building and converted it to a school and town hall. It has been the home to the Evans Academy, Peterboro Union School, Peterboro Elementary School and in 1974 became the Smithfield Community Center.

The building was placed on the New York State and National Historic Registers in 1994. This site is part of the New York State Underground Railroad Heritage Trail. The second floor is the present home of the National Abolition Hall of Fame and Museum.

Same image on both sides.

Artwork by Don Cornue

Photo by Collin Luce

A community heritage gift shop, located within the Visitors Center on the Gerrit Smith Estate, National Historic Landmark, in Peterboro NY. The Mercantile is staffed and operated under the management of the Smithfield Community Association, a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of historic Peterboro.

                                            www.mercantile.gerritsmith.org 


Add to Cart: