Bird House

$3.00

1 Pen & Ink Note cards with Envelopes (reproductions): 

The Greene Smith Museum

Commonly referred to as the "Bird House" was a uniquely constructed bark covered building which was built to hold and display the mounted bird collection of Greene Smith, noted ornithologist and son of Gerrit Smith. Built around 1865, the building featured central heating from a steam furnace, a marble sink, a mahogany staircase and cork-lined specimen cases. The New York Times called Greene Smith's work "the finest private collection of stuffed birds in America." 

The building was abandoned following the loss of the mansion and eventually collapsed from decay around 1975.

Gerrit Smith Estate is designated a National Historic Landmark.

 

Peterboro Mercantile
5304 Oxbow Road
Peterboro, NY 13134

 

gerritsmith.org

Artwork by Don Cornue

A community heritage gift shop, located within the Visitors Center on the Gerrit Smith Estate, National Historic Landmark, in Peterboro NY. The Mercantile is staffed and operated under the management of the Smithsield Community Association, a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of historic Peterboro.

                                            www.mercantile.gerritsmith.org 


Add to Cart:



Copyright © 2021 Peterboro Mercantile. Powered by Zen Cart